Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Typhoon Fanapi and a Package!



As I went to check the weather forecast last night on my iPhone, it vibrated as I checked Macau and Hong Kong. It only vibrates when there is a severe weather alert such as wind, heavy rain and thunderstorms. I proceeded to check the alerts and the text at the bottom caught my eye......"Typhoon In Area". I knew the forecast was rain for the next few days, but there was no mention of a typhoon coming near Macau. Typhoon Fanapi had just hammered Taiwan pretty bad and they were struck with major flooding and some injuries. Apparently there was no mention of Fanapi here because the projected path was to be much more north than what happened. Fanapi made landfall near Xiamen China which is east of HK. I guess that there was a T1 Signal hoisted late yesterday and all that was happening was some rain and thunderstorms, so nothing out of the ordinary.

We all went to bed to pretty heavy rains outside, woke up and it was barely sprinkling outside....so no big worries for us, but my iPhone was saying T3 signal in HK? I think the scale goes T1, T3 then T8 where everything shuts down.
At about 7:15 AM, I got a call to substitute again, this time for secondary art. This would have been no problem as we all had to go to the school, but then we got an email that due to the T3 signal, all kindergarten classes were cancelled for the day. This meant that Kaidyn had to stay home for the day, but now I was already working....Kylisha got an unexpected day off school to feel sick and look after her brother for the day and I got to go bring home some bacon!

It is still raining out right now and the temperature has been pleasant. It is only
25 C outside right now so today is the first day that we don't need to crank the air conditioners. We can actually open some windows to cool down the apartment and it is much more refreshing with the cooler breeze.

Amanda and Kylisha just walked in the door from the post office where they picked up a package. The package was from the McBrides in Sherwood Park. Frances, who is 4 (and a good friend of Kylisha's), made Kylisha a bracelet and a card (and that's where the waterworks began for Klash right in the post office). Kaidyn received a sweet picture from his 6 yr old buddy James and Amanda got a Lost On Planet China book. Since I didn't get anything again (thanks a lot Leah and Steve), Amanda stopped at Maxim's Bakery and brought home some sponge cake!



Later Skaters!

1 comment:

Trevor said...

25ÂșC and no AC? I'd still be melting like lard in a pan.

Post a Comment