Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sports Stars, Squash and Rear Ender

So as you can probably guess from the lack of posts, things are getting in gear here. The kids are into their school routines, Amanda is having to put in some pretty decent time at the school and me, well, I make the lunches and take the kids to school! Amanda has been good giving me errands to run for her during the day. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually getting pretty bored at home all day. That is soon to change! As part of TIS's extra curricular program, I put together a multi-sport kids program called Sports Stars, to run on Saturday mornings throughout the school year. The good thing about it is that I got to pick the times, ages and cost per child.....if everything works out decent, we should have no problem with our travel fund! I am also tutoring a grade 7 student 3 times a week. I may have to brush up on my grade 7 stuff! Looks like I will also be tutoring a grade 6 student in math (Math 20 twice by the way) so I should be knowledgeable in that subject! If that isn't enough, I have my name in to teach ESL twice a week to students and it pays really well! Amanda has been great in getting my name out there for these opportunities and it is definitely a welcome change to work with all these kids!

This morning we got a call from Amanda's dad Tom, who is looking after some of the pressing rental issues back home. Apparently one of our hot water tanks is leaking so that is our first slumlord expense! Good times.

Back in school I played quite a bit of badminton and only a tad of squash. Here I have been playing squash twice a week with some of the teachers and needless to say, they are killing me. At least this gives me some goals for the next couple years and I'll be sure to blog about my trials and tribulations!

On the way home tonight after picking up the kids from school, our cabbie rear ended and couple kids on a scooter! I wasn't really paying attention, but it was at a roundabout so I figure it was checking to see if anyone is coming and moving forward at the same time. The cabbie hit himself in the head a few times blurting something out in cantonese, proceeded to get out, talked to the kids for a few minutes then gave them what I thought was around 350 MOP ($50 CAD). And that was that. On the short ride home after that, the driver hit himself a few more times before dropping us off. The meter read a couple extra bucks than normal and I mentioned it shouldn't be full fare, but arguing in 2 different languages was a no win situation and he gave me back an extra pataca so that was good enough for me...it wasn't worth the effort.

This weekend we have a wine and cheese on Saturday night (good thing I like cheese and wish it was Captains and Cheese night), after the killer walk (I ask myself "why why why did I sign up for this?" on a daily basis) and throw in a couple games of squash to round it all out. Amanda and Kaid are headed to one of her student's birthdays at Cube. It is a Moonwalkers/Let's Play/Kidz Quarterz type kids place at the Venetian. Not much exciting has happened so here are a couple funnies we found!

No comments:

Post a Comment