Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The bike, summer school, and congrats!!!




Yeah I know its been a while since we last blogged, but I've been really busy! Maybe not that busy....maybe not even busy at all...just a little lazy.

Anyone who knows Amanda, knows that she is very active and always has to be doing some sort of physical activity. Here, all she pretty much can do is coach her soccer and basketball teams, as well as run on the weekends. Dane had always biked in the mornings before school and invited us to join him. I was an adamant NO and Amanda was all over it. At first, she just used Kirsten's mountain bike and this made for some strenuous workouts in the mornings. The circuit they bike is approximately 15 kms and it probably felt like 30 kms on a mountain bike (this is what I hear). Amanda had decided enough was enough and went to Zhuhai to purchase a road bike. Thankfully for our friend Dan (another avid cyclist) took Amanda to purchase her bike and she returned with quite the specimen. She brought home a Giant OCR 3300 in rocket red! She was quite proud of her purchase and it has been put to good use every second morning at about 6 AM. Before she bought it, she asked me if I wanted a bike too. I said no and didn't think I would use it often enough, but I must say that it has been a real treat for me so far. Not that I use it for exercise per say, but I can run around town quite swiftly! A normal 15-20 minute walk to the school now takes me only 3-4 minutes to ride there. Riding a bike here is quite the intimidating feat! When Amanda rides in the morning, there is hardly any traffic since locals don't wake up until late morning, but I always ride during the day. You have to keep your head on a swivel and just ride like you're a vehicle. This way gives you the best chance of survival!

Since we decided not to go back to Canada this past summer, Amanda and I both taught summer school for the month of July. Initially Amanda was the only one going to teach, but the opportunity came up for me to teach and that Kaidyn could come whenever he wanted to! Amanda taught Jr and Sr English and I taught primary drama and English. You definitely meet some interesting kids at summer school, but it was overall a fun time and made for a short summer. Amanda complained about how short her summer was, but for me who has never had a summer off, I thought it was great.

As for the rest of the summer, Amanda, Lynn, Kylisha and her friend Rachel headed on a 2 week trek to Viet Nam and Cambodia. I'm sure she will be updating the blog with their adventures and from what I can tell, they had an absolutely marvelous time! That left the boys here in Macau to chill and do guy things for 2 weeks. Basically it was play, eat, swim, eat, play and sleep....REPEAT for the entire time! It was great! I even asked Kaidyn if he wanted to go to HK Disney, and he said not really....he wanted to wait so mom and Kylisha could come! I think the Disney novelty has definitely worn off this kid and he's only 6!


BIG congrats to Amanda's BFF Lynn and her man friend Dan who got engaged 2 days before coming over for their girls' trip. Amanda (of course) cried some tears of joy and I am guessing the girls talked wedding once or twice while they were on their trip this summer. Congratulations, Lynn and Dan! We can't wait to celebrate your special day with you!




We would also extend a huge congratulations to our dear friends Dane and Kirsten who are now expecting their first Oilers fan into the world. They have since moved back to Perth and we miss them a lot. Amanda mentions them daily it seems! So congrats to the 2 of you and we're looking forward to an Aussie x-mas! Bring on the meatfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment